Friday, November 11, 2011

The Wheels on the Bus

The Driver on the Bus Says Move on Back- Move on Back

I love the bus.  As I mentioned in a previous blog, I rode the Peter Pan bus to NY City.  For a mere $40, I rode from Wilmington, DE to New York and back again.  From my math, I missed about $25 worth of tolls.  The toll just to get on the “Island” is $12.  If you look at tolls, gas and parking, this is th best bargain going.   

When I told my brother I was taking the bus, he told me to watch out for weird people.   I told him, I like weird people.  But let’s be honest, I like harmless weird people.  Secretly, I’m praying I don’t end up next to the guy who just got released for a rape and murder conviction.  But I end up sitting across from some Indian college kid. He was a sweet- looking, geeky dude with a big nose.  He was rocking out on his Ipod and quite honestly, I think he was reading a paper on quantum physics.  He scarfed down a whole can of BBQ Pringles.  He must have still been starving because he started to rip open a bag of peanuts like a virgin opening a condom package.  He was so worked up it shot peanuts around the bus like BBs.  He looked at me like he’d just been caught with his pants down to which I started to laugh.  So much for my rapist/murder.   

After the great weekend with my girlfriend, I headed back to the NY bus station.  There are 400 terminals. This is the Supersize of bus stations.  I grabbed a chocolate croissant and coffee and headed to my terminal.  I still had 30 minutes and walked into a snack bar to take a seat.  I looked around.  There was quite a few homeless folks sleeping at the random tables.  They each kept their bags under their feet or heads or in their laps.    I sat down and contemplated for a minute.  I look a little different.  And I smell a whole lot different, but officially I’m homeless.  Hmmm, maybe I’m one of the weird people.

No comments:

Post a Comment